Thursday, February 17, 2005

August 12, 2003 - Corona

We get to Corona around noon, but don't know how to get ahold of anyone at the venue. So what do we do? Go to the record store. I fucking hate record stores. Now, I know they are similar to comic shops, but here's the difference. I know what I'm looking for when I go to a comic shop. I have list, a small list, of things I want. I don't go in there blindly for hours at a time looking for obscure colored records of bands that aren't very good anyway. I started collecting records back when I thought it was cool. It wasn't and I quit. Fuck records.

Anyway, after an hour or so at the record store, we went to the other place to kill time, the mall. We wandered around there for three hours or so then went to the venue. We sat around outside for another hour and a half before the doors opened for load in time. I was a little nervous for a few different reasons. I've never played a real out of state show before. I've played a few basement shows, but nothing with an actual stage, sound guy or over 50 people. Plus, there's been bad blood between SLC and California kids for a long time. Most of it started over the damn internet and it was all stupid. It ended up being fine, though. We cleared up whatever problems were there and everything went well.

It was Cast In Stone's last show, and we played with DEATHSTAR, so there were a lot of Christian kids around. Thom from DS used to play drums for us when he lived in SLC, so he came and played on Slit Wrist. It was fun, even if it was a bit sloppy.

After the show we decided to head home. Chris had to work the next night so we had to get going. We all tried to stay awake, but it wasn't happening. We made it to Primm, NV and got a hotel room at about 4:30 am. I jumped in the shower, because I hadn't showered in two days and had hung out in 110 degree weather and played two shows. I felt disgusting. No one else showered. After that, I wasn't tired anymore so I went gambling. 20 minutes later I had lost 30 bucks and called it a night. We slept until 11 when we had to check out, and that's when the fun began. Chris' car kept over-heating, so we'd have to pull over and let it cool down every 1/2 hour or so. It took us forever to get home, so I ripped the sleeves off my shirt and cracked open a cold one every time we pulled over. Nothing like the open road and Cherry Pepsi. You should try it.

1 comment:

Heather said...

wait. you forgot about the time where your new best friend heather drove an hour and a half to corona to watch you play. loyalty. yep.