Thursday, March 24, 2005

March 17, 2004 - Las Vegas, NV

We'd never played Vegas before, but Aftermath of a Trainwreck knew some dudes down there and said it would be good times. We figured what the hell, and drove down there.

There was one problem.

As we left SLC we realized that someone had taken all the tapes out of the van. I hadn't brought any with me, because they were still supposed to be in there. We had one tape to last us the 13 or so hours it would take to get down there and back. We took the two back seats out and loaded 7 people into the van. Clint, me, Nick, Bill, Chris G, Misty and Megan. It wasn't really that comfortable, but I rode shotgun so I was fine. Misty brought a Cosmo with her, I hijacked it and read the whole thing cover to cover and it kept me entertained. We pulled into Vegas and head for Vegi House and immediately  after that it's over to Ronald's Doughnuts.

For those of you that don't know, this is a place that specializes in vegan doughnuts. I'm pretty sure it's only because they ingridients are cheaper, but who cares? They're vegan. We load up on those and head out to the venue. Brook gives me directions, and we follow them.

"Turn left at the women's prison and head to the end of the road," is the one line that still sticks out to me all these years later.

At the end of the road is a junkyard, and I assume we've taken a wrong turn. Not so. Aftermath rolls up shortly after and we're let in the yard.

The junkyard guy tells us not to go near the fence that borders the prison, as the guards get angry and start yelling.

We hang out for a while and wait for the other bands to get there, find a nice little piece of wood, make it into a table and set up our merch. Once again, Chris Purkey couldn't come because he had to work. He was being a pussy, basically. "I can't go. I have to work to provide for my wife and two month old son." I would have told him to grow up, but I think that's just what he did. So Brook pretended to play bass for us again. Most of SLC showed up and we played a good set. It was fun, Aftermath was fun, Bloody Sunday and Shattered Realm were good and we didn't watch Folsom.

When the show was over, we started on our way home. I'm not sure why, but this was around the time that I started to be given the task of night driving. So we head on our way. About two hours into the drive, I get really sick of my gangster rap tape. I eject it and begin singing Misfits songs to myself to stay awake. I was the only one up and I was singing quietly. Or so I thought. When we got home, Nick told me that he wasn't all the way asleep and heard me singing for about an hour. I was a little embarassed. Either way, we dropped everyone off and I went home to take a nap. My other band had a show that night.

No comments: